Saturday, September 16, 2023

Disaster prevention poster





Disaster prevention in Japan is very important because Japan is particularly vulnerable to natural disasters including mostly earthquakes and typhoons. Japan's preparedness for these types of disasters is unmatched to other countries because of this. Japan even prepares in little ways for example, Japan's government has a disaster bag checklist that all the people of Japan can access. Japan has made many milestones when it comes to the prevention of natural disasters, for example, they've redesigned skyscrapers so that instead of fighting against the earthquakes and potentially destroying everything they made them so they can sway with the earthquakes instead of against them. Japan's largest earthquake the Great East Japan Earthquake, which took place on 11 March 2011, was the most powerful earthquake ever recorded in Japan. The quake triggered a massive tsunami that engulfed many towns along the Pacific coast, estimated 20,000 lost in this earthquake. Even though the Japanese system is very effective there are some flaws. A survey went out after this great earthquake asking how many people heard the sirens to get above ground and 35% said they didn't hear anything. I remember back in school whenever disaster prevention drills we would either just walk out of the building in a line or hide under the desks. That's all I remember doing at my school. If something were to happen right now I don't think I would be prepared. I've only ever experienced one tornado where I hid under a desk for 30 minutes. It was a very small tornado and I didn't do much. To sum it up I learned a lot from this project about Japan's quick readiness to fight back against natural disasters. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Daily Life

Overall I say the biggest noticeable difference when comparing these cultures is collectivism vs individualism. Japan is a collectivist cult...