Sunday, September 24, 2023

Topic 3 Food

 


    Many cultures have different practices when it comes to almost everything, however, one thing everyone has in common no matter where they're from is the different cuisine of their culture. You and I, no matter where we come from are constantly surrounded by the culture in itself which is food. Millions are deeply tied together through culture, identity, and food. What we eat can show our cultural background and who we are as a person. Most importantly food can also show our differences. The differences between American cuisine, the cuisine of my home, and Japanese cuisine are very apparent for example, Japanese food portions are significantly smaller compared to the portions that we eat in America, not only are they just smaller portions their food practices are seemingly a lot healthier than the American food practices that I'm used to. Veggies and fruits are a much bigger part of the everyday lifestyle in Japan, along with different kinds of fish and rice. Even their sweets are much healthier and much yummier than what I'm used to here in America. Overall I personally find myself wanting to indulge more in Japanese cuisine as I enjoy it a lot more and it's a lot more inclusive to someone who has similar dietary restrictions as me since I am a vegetarian. 

1 comment:

  1. excellent observations. I hope you do try more types of Japanese food. Have you looked into Shojin ryori?
    https://matcha-jp.com/en/2710#:~:text=Shojin%20ryori%2C%20otherwise%20known%20as,and%20where%20to%20enjoy%20it.

    ReplyDelete

Daily Life

Overall I say the biggest noticeable difference when comparing these cultures is collectivism vs individualism. Japan is a collectivist cult...