Tuesday, September 26, 2023

Jikoshoukai Video


Usually how I introduce myself to someone that is important in English is, hi I'm Liberty it's nice to meet you and then we shake hands. how I usually informally introduce myself in English is, Wasssuppp I'm liberty. it's very similar in Japanese just like in most languages you start by saying hi and then say your name. but there are some differences, for example the Japanese don't shake hands like we do here they bow instead as a form of respect while we shake hands also as a form of respect now it used to be more to show our peaceful intent towards each other. by extending your empty right hand, people can see that you're not holding any weapons. bowing is an everyday thing in Japan from meeting someone new and introducing yourself to exiting an elevator or bowing as an apology. it's one of the things that makes Japanese culture unique. Another difference in our introductions is saying I or Watashi. the reason I didn't start off my introduction with "Watashi wa Nomaea wa Liberty desu" and instead just said "Liberty desu" is because the Japanese do not like using the word "I". They tend to shy away from using it in ordinary situations and only use it unless necessary to clarify what they're saying. It's most likely because self-assertion is frowned upon. I can't wait to be able to go past just the introduction and be able to have a small conversation in Japanese I'm a very social being and love talking to people and making new friends. I want to be able to ask about people's interests and be able to understand what they are saying, that will be a huge milestone for me when that happens hopefully that moment will come sooner rather than later.    

1 comment:

Daily Life

Overall I say the biggest noticeable difference when comparing these cultures is collectivism vs individualism. Japan is a collectivist cult...